A blog about all things creative, inspiring and unique!

4.19.2011

Bebel Gilberto and Tunics!

Recently my mom and I watched the movie "Eat, Pray, Love" and although I had
heard mixed reviews, I hoped it would be better than it was. Months ago I even attempted
to read the book, but after she apparently lay crying on the bathroom floor forever...I just couldn't seem to get into it. Maybe it is just me, considering it is a New York Times Bestseller, but it just seemed a little hard to connect with the author. Ok, so I totally get that she was going through a bad divorce and at a point in her life where she just couldn't find herself in the life she had created, but come on. If you are like me, you have probably experienced something difficult in life and didn't just go traveling across the globe, paid to write about your experiences!  That said, after almost two + hours of watching and not exactly being super impressed, there were two things that did like. 1.) The music when she is bike riding in Bali. If you have never heard of Bebel Gilberto, I recommend checking her out. She is from Brazil, and the daughter of the "father of bossa nova." Her music evokes a feeling of laying on a beach and drinking a mojito. I love her! And the second thing... 2.) Making a tunic! So I don't sew too much, but I couldn't help running to the fabric store this past week and searching for a pattern and fabric. I found both and can't wait to get started on a fun top for summer coming up. Moral of the story, movies don't always have to be academy award winners to inspire :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is true. I agree that the movie was a but drawn out ... maybe I forgot that it wasn't my favorite movie when I ordered it on Amazon after the holidays. Haha! Oh, well. Great post! Let's make tunics together this summer :)